Friday, February 17, 2012

Not switching technologies

I have decided not to switch technologies and keep using slick and java to create my game.

I have over the last week experimented with Unity 3D and it's a fantastic tool for creating 3d games. If you have access to 3d models "an artist" you can in no time create a basic game that you can keep expanding on.

I created a flat box that was the ground, a player controller to move the camera around, some objects that I created in max and added some scripts to objects allowing the player to move them around. It's just a matter of writing more scripts and adding them to the player or objects to keep evolving the game. Fast and fun.

The reason why I am not using it is that I like programming, and there's not a lot of that in Unity. Granted, you can write a lot of scripts in java script or c#, but I spend a lot of time manipulating 3d objects in the editor and creating stuff in a 3d modeling program when I would rather be programming.

My pace will slow down a bit from now on as I have a lot of other things on my plate at the moment, but hoping for a bit of time this weekend. Would be nice to add some unholy monsters that are in dire need of some smiting :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment